Purpose & Principles
- Promote widespread adoption of Choosing Wisely® in Connecticut as a vehicle for improvement in healthcare practice and culture.
- Bring multiple and diverse stakeholders to work together on efforts to put Choosing Wisely® into practice in Connecticut.
- Support the culture change needed in the patient-provider relationship by promoting enhanced communication, partnership and mutual goal setting between patients and providers.
- Leverage the opportunities for Choosing Wisely® to support multiple reform efforts underway in Connecticut to improve health quality, safety, outcomes, and lower healthcare costs.
- Facilitate the inclusion of Connecticut based Choosing Wisely® initiatives in, and make contribution to, a national learning community of Choosing Wisely® best practices.
- Patients and providers need and deserve information, tools and support that enable them to mutually choose care that is supported by evidence, most appropriate, free from harm and truly necessary.
- Improving provider-patient communication at the point of care is fundamental to improving patient safety, reducing unnecessary and costly medical care, and achieving health equity for all consumers.
- Cultural and linguistic competence and mutual respect are critical to the patient and provider relationship.
- Addressing tests and procedures whose necessity should be questioned and discussed requires cultural change at the patient and provider level; and delivery system, practice and payment reforms.
By December 2017, the Connecticut Choosing Wisely Collaborative will be the recognized and trusted convener in Connecticut for the promotion and adoption of Choosing Wisely® principles and practices by key stakeholders in our state. The CCWC acts on its vision by initiating and supporting efforts to set and achieve specific measurable goals for implementing Choosing Wisely® by and for the benefit of:
- Practitioners and Health Systems.
- Patients and Community Organizations.
- Educational Institutions for Training Health Care Professionals.
- Employers and Payers.