In-Lab Sleep Testing
There are two different kinds of overnight sleep studies that you may be referred for:
- Polysomnogram (PSG)—A PSG is an overnight sleep study used to diagnose a variety of sleep disorders. The test is performed at night, though our labs are able to accommodate shift workers by offering tests at other times of the day. The PSG monitors body functions including the brain, eye movements, muscle activity, heart rhythm, respiratory effort, and pulse oximetry.
- Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT)—An MSLT tests for excessive daytime sleepiness. It measures how quickly you fall asleep during the day. An MSLT can be used to diagnose narcolepsy and idiopathic hypersomnia. It is a full-day test that consists of five scheduled naps separated by two-hour breaks. During each nap, the patient lies in bed and tries to go to sleep. The lights are shut off, the test measures how long it takes the patient to fall asleep.
If your doctor has ordered a sleep study, you will be contacted by SleepMed, ProHealth’s testing partner, to schedule your appointment. Our certified technician will perform your sleep study at either PRIME Healthcare in West Hartford or at Courtyard by Marriott in Wallingford.
Prior to your study, a packet containing important information will be mailed to you. Please read and complete ALL information in the packet.
- Forms to complete and bring with you on the night of your sleep study (note: these forms should NOT be mailed)
- A map and list of contact telephone numbers
- A list of items to bring with you including clothing suggestions and other details about what to expect during your sleep study
If you have not received the packet one week before your sleep study, please call us at (860) 231-6130.
Our Sleep Lab staff will obtain any preauthorization or certification needed from your insurance provider.