Brown rice risotto recipe
Makes 6 side-dish servings
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp. snipped fresh basil or parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook the mushrooms, onion and garlic in hot oil until onion is tender. Add rice. Cook and stir over medium heat about 5 minutes or more until rice is golden.
- Bring the broth to a boil in another saucepan, reduce heat and simmer. Slowly add 1 cup of the broth to the rice mixture and stir frequently until it’s completely absorbed.
- Repeat this process until all of the broth is gone. Add ½ cup of broth at a time and stir frequently to prevent sticking. Wait until each addition is almost completely absorbed before adding more. This step should take about 15 minutes.
- When the rice is slightly creamy and just tender, stir in Parmesan cheese and basil.
- Joy of Cooking