Butternut squash soup
- 2–3 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- Nutmeg and/or cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter. Add shallots and cook until translucent, about 5–8 minutes.
- Add squash and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 15–20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend until creamy using a blender, food processor or hand blender.
- Return soup to pot. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and the nutmeg and/or cinnamon.
If you prefer, you can buy frozen butternut squash at the grocery store. It’s already peeled and chopped, so all you have to do is thaw it and prepare the soup.