Chicken or tofu stir-fry recipe
- 1 large chicken breast or 1 package of firm tofu
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. sugar-free rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- Onion and garlic, chopped (if desired)
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 package mushrooms, chopped
- ½–1 Chinese cabbage, chopped
- 16 kale leaves, chopped
- 6 ounces of soba noodles (buckwheat noodles)
- Any other vegetables of your choice
- Butter and cooking spray for sautéing
- Grill, boil or bake chicken until just done. If using tofu, drain on paper towels before cooking to remove excess water. Slice protein into bite-size pieces.
- Mix together the soy sauce, rice vinegar and maple syrup in a large bowl. Add the chicken or tofu and marinate overnight. Gently toss to coat all pieces.
- Boil noodles and drain when tender.
- Melt half a tablespoon of butter in a deep skillet. Sauté onion and garlic, if you are using. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft. Remove mixture from the pan and place into a separate bowl.
- Sauté the carrots, cabbage and kale in the pan with a little salt and pepper. If needed, add more butter or cooking spray to prevent burning. The vegetables should wilt up nicely. Remove from pan and add to the onion, garlic and mushroom mix.
- Place the chicken or tofu in the skillet and sear on both sides. Add the noodles, mushrooms and greens, and more butter or cooking spray if needed. Cook together to blend the flavors.