Easy hummus recipe
All you need is a food processor or blender to make great hummus at home.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas or 1½ cups (250 grams) cooked chickpeas
- ¼ cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice (1 large lemon)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) well-stirred tahini
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- 2–3 tbsp. (30–45 ml) water
- Dash ground paprika, for serving
- Combine the tahini and lemon juice in a food processor or blender and process for 1 minute. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, then process for 30 seconds more.
- Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and ½ teaspoon of salt to the tahini mixture. Process for 30 seconds, then scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Process for another 30 seconds or until well blended.
- If using canned chickpeas, drain and rinse. Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor and process for 1 minute. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, then add the remaining chickpeas and process until thick and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water until desired consistency is reached.
Store in an airtight container and refrigerate up to one week. Serve with raw or roasted veggies and/or whole-grain pita. Top with a dash of paprika if desired.