Meatless Monday for MLK Day
Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Did you know? Martin Luther King Jr.’s wife and son became vegetarian. A vegetarian is someone who does not eat meat.
Try starting “Meatless Monday” at your house, and put the focus on some amazing veggies. Meatless Monday can be great for your health, your wallet and the planet.
Grocery stores offer a huge variety of fresh produce to help create some tasty meals that are not centered around meat.
Find a recipe and leave out the meat
Stir-fries, soups and pasta dishes are great options when skipping meat. Make vegetable lasagna with a mix of shredded veggies. If you want to add some extra protein to a recipe, add beans, nuts or tofu. Create a peanut butter sauce for your stir-fry.
Season with spices and herbs for added flavor
Smoked paprika is a great spice to try that adds a smoky meat-like flavor to a veggie dish. Garlic, onions and herbs, such as basil and cilantro, are high powered seasonings. You won’t miss the meat when the food is full of flavor.
Shop a winter Farmers’ Market
Or, shop a farm stand and get inspired. If you spot fresh Brussel sprouts or a new type of squash, find a recipe online that uses that as your main ingredient.
Make a side dish the main meal
Succotash, pasta salad or baked potatoes can be the star of your plate. Add a whole grain like barley to succotash. Add chopped vegetables to pasta salad. Try adding stir-fried veggies to a baked potato. Just about any recipe can become a meatless one. Give it a try.
Vegetable pad Thai recipe
1 garlic clove, minced or chopped finely
1 small onion or shallot, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 cups cabbage, shredded
1 cup zucchini, shredded
1 cup carrots, grated
2–4 tbsp. soy sauce
1 lime, juiced
2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
Sriracha (if you like Sriracha, you can add it)
Tofu, drained and sliced (if you like tofu, you can add it)
¼ pound soba noodles or brown rice
Peanuts, chopped (if you like peanuts, you can add them)
- Prepare choice of grain (soba noodles, brown rice) according to package directions.
- Spray a large pan with a cooking spray or lightly drizzle olive oil.
- Sauté the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and cabbage to the pan and cook down slightly.
- Add two tablespoons of soy sauce, the lime juice and rice wine vinegar. Add sriracha to taste, if using.
- Add carrots, zucchini and tofu to the pan and cook just until heated through. If more liquid is needed, add a little soy sauce and vinegar.
- Add noodles or rice to pan.
- Whisk egg and pour over stir fry. Cook and turn the veggies, making sure to cook the egg all the way through.
- Serve with crushed peanuts on top, if desired.