Mushroom soup recipe
Makes 4–6 servings
- 5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms, variety of your choice
- 1½ cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ cup shallots, chopped
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. whole-wheat flour
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup light cream (or almond milk)
- Heat 1 tbsp. of butter in a large saucepan and sauté mushrooms and shallots for 1 minute. Add broth and thyme. Cook until mushrooms and shallots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and purée in blender or food processor, leaving some chunks of mushroom for texture. Set mixture aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in the saucepan and whisk in the flour until smooth. Add the mushroom mixture, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and stir until soup has thickened.
- Add light cream, stirring well to combine. Adjust seasoning to taste.