Whole-wheat cornmeal strawberry shortcakes
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour (ex: King Arthur)
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 6 tbsp. butter, room temperature, plus more for tins
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons Truvia® sugar blend
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Fresh strawberries and whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour 6 jumbo (or 9 regular) muffin tins.
- In a food processor, blend ½ cup sliced almonds with Truvia until finely ground. Add butter, eggs, vanilla and salt. Process until combined, scraping sides of bowl as needed. (Mixture may appear curdled at this point.) Add flour and cornmeal; pulse just until moistened.
- Divide batter among tins. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup almonds. Bake until golden and a toothpick comes out clean, 20–25 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- With a serrated knife, split shortcakes horizontally. Place bottom halves on serving plates. Layer with strawberries and whipped cream. Cover with shortcake tops.